Pages

Thursday, November 24

Patchwork bag

I finished a shoulder tote for myself. It's not black and white, you say? No, indeed it is not. When I'd laid the fabrics out yesterday I realized I didn't really want to make a black and white bag yet. Instead I looked through my pile of beautiful scrap fabrics I got off Swedish Ebay for a bargain, and somehow the scraps grew into this.

I love how the golden thread binds it all together and gives it a nicer look. All the buttons are picked somewhat randomly from my enormous stash.

The pocket on the front was an afterthought, I just happened to put the fabric down there as I was pinning one side of the lining's pockets, and loved how it looked on the front. So I cut it down and put it on the front instead. At that time the front and back was already assembled. It was rather tricky sewing a pocket onto a finished bag, but doable.

The shoulder straps I rather cheated on. I used a black clip on strap from another bag instead of making my own. I have put in an online order for some of those clip things, and I intend to make a few of these shoulder straps, so I have a variety to go with any bag I make from now on. But for now, the black leather strap is an easy fix.

The lining is made from a beautiful, thick cotton fabric I got on sale. I have almost a meter left of it and I intend to use some of it for my black and white bag once I get started on it. Possibly later today.

I'm really happy with this bag all in all, I think it turned out beautifully, despite it being a spur of the moment thing, and a lot of the details came on as an afterthought.

No comments:

Post a Comment